Monday, July 28, 2014

Screencast

Screencast are fun and a different way to grab students attention.  The two that I tried out were Screencast-O-Matic and Screenr.  Both we pretty simple to use as long as you have Java installed on your computer and your computer doesn't block the site.  I had a lot of trouble with Screenr, even though I had Java installed, it still wouldn't record until I set the security level down to medium.  Screencast-O-Matic lets you record for 15 minutes while Screenr only lets you record for 5 minutes, both of these where in the free mode.
I did my Screencast-O-Matic on how to use our library search catalog.  I will be using this at the beginning of the year to show the students how to navigate through it.



On Screenr, I made a screencast on how to use MakeBeliefsComix.  I had to add a few things to the comic before I started because I only had five minutes and ran out of time the first go around.



Like I said before both were easy to use once I figured out how to get Java to work on Screenr.  On both you just push record and then put the box around the area you want to talk about and then hit record and start talking.  For me though, I think I would use Screencast-O-Matic more because you get more time and it worked well for me at school.  I did not try Screenr at school, so I don't know if I would have less problems with it there or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment