Monday, July 7, 2014

Facebook

I have only been communicating on Facebook for about a year; now I am looking at school library's that have Facebook pages.  I have even created one for my school library.  It is amazing how far social networking has taken us and that I am in the center of it all.  

When looking at the different school library's Facebook pages I found many similar things and a few different items on the pages.  I noticed that high school pages posted items such as new book releases, notices about what was happening in their school, and videos and pictures of the students doing different activities.  One of the activities that I liked best was when students put pictures of books with a face on the cover in place of their own face.  Middle school pages had pretty much the same items.  The pages I was most interested in were the elementary pages.  I found three that I really liked.   Each one had many good ideas to offer for a person who is starting their own page.  One had many pictures and sayings about reading and reminders of when books needed to be turned in.  Another had a survey for parent volunteers to fill out on a Google form.  Each of these schools also posted lists of activities that were happening in their schools.

As I mentioned earlier, I recently started my own Facebook page for our school library (www.facebook.com/OBryantPrimaryLibrary). 
 I can see many advantages of having a Facebook page; it helps promote your school library, it gets information to the public about library and school activities and special functions,  and it helps to reach a wider audience.  
One drawback to maintaining a Facebook page, though, is finding the time to keep it updated  along with your other duties.  I saw several pages that weren't up to date, some as much as a year behind.  Of course this can hurt your credibility.     

No comments:

Post a Comment