Thursday, July 24, 2014

Online Book Communities


Have you ever wanted to keep track of the books you read?  Well now you can and you can even share it with your friends on Facebook and Twitter.  The following Online Book Communities are the ones that I checked out to see which would be user friendly and have the best look.


First one here is Booklikes, http://booklikes.com/.  It reminds me more of a Facebook page or Twitter.  Not the one for me, it was a little confusing to get around on and I really didn't like how it was set up.


Second one was Goodreads, https://www.goodreads.com/.  This one was easy to get started on.  When you first signed in a page came up with different genres for you to choose from.Then it brought up books from those genres that you might be interested in.  This would be my second choice for doing a book community.
  
The third one I looked at was LibraryThing, https://www.librarything.com.  I believe LibraryThing has more tabs and more things you can do on their site then the others.   For me this was a little harder to navigate through then some of the others.  

The fourth one was Shelfari, http://www.shelfari.com/.  I liked this one the best.  When you signed in it gave you a list of genres to choose from and then brought up books that fit into those genres.  When you picked a book it would come up with a page to click if you were going to read it, reading it, or read it.  Once you picked one of those then it came up with other information you could add or you could just skip it.  This site was easy for me to navigate through.  I was even able to add this to my blog page.

All of these Book Communities are good, it is just a matter of what you prefer and how much time you are willing to put into it.  Each site is useful in that you can see what other people are reading and reviews of books.
If I was going to use one it would either be Shelfari or GoodReads, just because those two for me where easier to use.  As far as using one or the other in school I am not sure how I would use it with prek-third grade students.  I can see this being done at the junior high or high school where the students would be able to put the books they have read and write a review for it and share with their friends there at school.  I think it would be fun to see what others have read and what they think of the book.
If any elementary librarians see this and would comment back if they have an idea on how it would work in their library, I would love to hear from you.






No comments:

Post a Comment